Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Day 78

I decided to give the kids a break from the camera today. I, for once, did it on purpose and not only because I forgot to take a picture of the day. So instead of focusing my picture around them I focused it around our dog. Ill tell the story of how we ended up with her, etc for those of you that don't already know.

I have been telling Ken basically since we met that I wanted to get a dog. They are so much work though, and as a single person living in Denver, I knew I wasn't ready to have that much responsibility. I had heard it was like having a child (I now know that is slightly true, but children are much more responsibility!).  After we had been together about 14 months or so, he finally decided I was special enough to meet his entire family at their family reunion in Oregon. I quickly fell in love with his family, and the Oregon coast. It was then that his mom informed me that she didn't even know I existed until she saw pictures of us at the Grand Canyon together (our trip to the grand canyon was the weekend of our 5 month anniversary) Leave it to a guy, to not tell his parents about an awesome girlfriend of his. Awesome is my word, not his. But seeing as he eventually married me, I was obviously awesome enough! Anyway, my parents knew about Ken after maybe 3-4 weeks. I must have thought he was awesome much sooner than he thought I was.

Anyway, we were on our trip to the Oregon Coast for his family reunion. We were on a hike with his brother and girlfriend (now wife, I wonder when he told his parents about her?!). I was telling them that I had been wanting to get a dog, and Ken just kept saying ughhh no we do not need to get a dog right now. I know, babe, not right now, but in like a month (haha)! Natalie (his brothers now wife) said well its either a dog or a baby! We both chirped back with most definitely a dog! Fast forward a couple days we were having a beer in portland and finally he agreed we could look at getting a dog when we got back to Colorado. Yay! We got back from Oregon on July 4th. July 20th something I found out I was pregnant. I guess Natalie jinxed us, baby it was! Dog idea on hold!

Fast forward 2 years. July 2013, we had just moved to Louisiana. I was 5.5 months pregnant with Audrey and Connor was not quite a year and a half. We went to a couple adoption days at the local pet smart. These typically take place on a Sunday and local humane societies bring in the pets that are up for adoption to give the public a chance to take a look. We had gone to one and saw some adorable puppies that we both fell in love with, Connor too, but they were only 8-9 weeks old. Deal breaker. We were not wanting to get a brand new puppy. The next weekend I actually convinced Ken to go back, it was a last minute type thing. We weren't even planning on going but we were out running errands and I said we should stop by there on the way home just to look and let Connor play with the puppies. We walked in and there was Ellie (when we first met her, her name was Alex). She was so sweet. All the other dogs were jumping to get out of their cages and play and she just laid there with a really sad look on her face. She was clearly still a puppy but not a brand new puppy. (We later found out she was only about 5 months or so). The tag on her Kennel said Chow mix. A few weeks before my parents had to put down our dog that we had growing up, Elway. He was also a chow mix and the best dog any family could ask for. I asked if we could take her out to play with her. This would be the true test. See how hyper she gets around Connor and once she's out of a kennel. We got her out, and like Elway used to do, she refused to go through the front door of pet smart to walk around. I had to drag her in. She hated going through doors. Elway always did the same. Must be a chow thing. Anyway, once we were through those doors and we were playing with her, we both knew she would come home with us. As much as Ken won't like to admit it, he fell in love with her that day too :)

The rest is history, she came home with us, we have had a few hiccups. Only with chewing on our window seal (see picture below) while we are away and her digging in our backyard. Ugh if I only knew how to get her to stop digging!!!! She isn't as bad now, but still does it on occasion. She only recently started to chew Connors toys, and really its only his wooden train track toys that he leaves out. She must really like wood. But really, she is so good with both kids and is Connors best friend. They fight and play just like best friends! When Connor gets irritated with her, he will say "ughhhh Dog!!" and "Go away, Ellie!" or his favorite, "Bad Dog!" I don't know where he got any of those from....I take no responsibility.

Anyway the picture today is of her in her favorite spot. Looking out our front window. When we leave the house she always goes to the living room and sits on the couch and stays there while we are leaving. Every time we come home, I find her on the couch. I always think, wow what a good dog. She stays and sleeps on the couch until we get home! It wasn't until this past weekend that we were coming home from somewhere and Ken noticed her laying her head on the window seal and as soon as she saw us, she jumped up and ran back to the couch (all of which we could see from the car).  I guess she must just lay at the window awaiting our return. I think its sweet! What a loyal dog. This is what she must look like while we are gone.

Please notice the chewed up window seal. I think it adds character :)


No comments:

Post a Comment